Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Years!

RoxAnn wanted me to document my recent 2010 New Years experience. We spent New Years Eve in Red Deer at a hotel on the way to southern Alberta from Fort McMurray. It was a nice time we went swimming and spent the evening relaxing. Early the next morning we left Red Deer to go to a cabin near Waterton at Payne Lake to be with the "Evanson side" of the family. We arrived at the cabin at around noon. We went inside for 10 minutes and saw some family and then Erica wanted to go outside and go sledding with the other kids. So I took her out and we went down the hill a few times.(she loves her new hat her mom made her)

After going down with her I saw some of my nephews going down on a "snowboard". I thought that looked fun and at times I don't think about consequences of my actions and I figured I would give it a shot. My last words uttered were "This is not going to end well"

At first things were going smooth and I was feeling pretty proud of my skillz!


Then there was a bit of a bump in the hill that threw off my rhythm.

As I came down, my left foot got caught under me and took the full force of my not so petite frame. As I came down onto my leg I knew something was wrong. The reaction from my family went from hard laughter to "ooooo's and ahhhhh's" as I laid at the bottom of the hill face down not moving. I kept telling myself that it was not too bad and I just twisted it wrong. But every movement sent pain up my body and if I tried to put weight on it I would just about pass out. As you can see from the picture my niece took my left foot is not in a what you would call normal position. If you can't see it look closely under my left butt cheek.

After a few minutes of deliberating we decided it was best to see the Doctor about the whole leg thing and sure enough my fibula was broken it is the small bone in the lower leg, lucky it was not the tibia which is the load bearing bone. So the recovery will not take as long. And as you can see I did a lot of sleeping for the rest of the time at the cabin. Erica calls my cast a "band-aid"


The other funny part of this whole story is my brother-in-law Jeff a few days before had shattered his Achilles tendon (his injury is much worse than mine, it will take him a year of treatment to recover and it will only take me 6 weeks). So we had matching casts.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ME!

P.S. We are moving in 2 weeks....should be fun....sorry RoxAnn!

2 comments:

The Anderson Family said...

Let us know when you are moving and if there is anything that we can do to help. If Travis is off he would be glad to help you move stuff. Let me know about the cleaning RoxAnn and I'll be there. I'll bring you a meal too! Anyways ryan that totally stinks... and I love the play by play pictures. Happy healing!

Francis Family said...

Where are you moving too? That sucks about his leg! What bad luck. Hope it heals quickly!